Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli. Cheddar. Soup.
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced (I used 2)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups broccoli (about 4 small heads) cut into very small pieces (you want them to fit on a spoon) ***
2 cups chicken stock (I used this)
2 cups milk
½ cup flour
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt, black pepper to taste (I also added paprika)
***I don’t know how small broccoli heads are in the US but I told my mom to buy 4 heads of broccoli but I ended up using only 1, and even that was almost 3 cups! By the way I did not know that broccoli is expensive. Those 4 heads cost almost $10 SGD / $7.60 USD!***
-Whisk together flour and milk until combined.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat
- Add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt, pepper and paprika and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the chicken stock.
- Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft.
- Add the milk and flour mixture to the pot, stirring gently.
- Once the soup thickens, add the grated cheddar.
- Salt and pepper to taste
My first impression of this soup was “Wait, that’s it?”. Mainly because when I think of homemade soup, I imagine having to slave for hours and hours in front of a hot stove. This thing right here took 10 minutes to prep and another 10 minutes to cook. Huzzah!
Luckily, it was tasty as well. I might add an additional cup of chicken stock or maybe even water to thin it out, it was a wee bit too thick. This soup is very heavy and filling (and creamy and delicious) so it’s definitely “main course” material. My second ever from-scratch soup (the first would be minestrone, which you can see on my blog header) so yeah, I am pretty proud of myself!